UNDER CONSTRUCTION: WORMS, FLEAS, TICKS
Diatomaceous Earth (DE), *Raw *Organic Pumpkin Seeds, Garlic
Diatomaceous Earth in food for pets and farm animals (will give much more information on this soon). Prevents and eliminates internal parasites. In short: Food Grade DE eliminates existing roundworms, whipworms, pin worms and hookworms within 7 days if fed daily. 30-45 days is required to halt the full lifecycle since DE does not kill eggs. Best news, it’s one of the cheapest things you can buy.
Native American tribes used pumpkin flesh and seeds to heal wounds, cure kidney ailments, urinary problems and parasites. The seeds of the pumpkin work as an excellent deworming agent against tapeworms and other intestinal parasites in animals and humans. It contains the amino acid cucurbitin which paralyzes and eliminates the worms from the digestive tract. Treatment: 1 Tsp per 10 pounds of body weight, 1-2x/day – ground or mashed to make digestible – otherwise it goes right through them, undigested.
Pumpkin seeds have other health benefits too – they are loaded with protein, amino acids, fiber, iron, copper, phosphorus and magnesium, calcium, zinc, potassium, folic acid and niacin; all important nutrients to your pet’s overall good health. Have a handful yourself!
There is a lot of misinformation on garlic for dogs. Many say it is dangerous. In short, anything can be dangerous in large amounts. Too much water and you thin your blood to the point of death. Same for garlic, a blood thinner. Too much is too much. But a small amount is good medicine and has been used as a natural dewormer throughout time. If your pet is on any medication or you have concerns, always consult a HOLISTIC vet first on appropriateness and dosage. Remember this pharmaceutical rule and don’t be swayed by the chicken littles who induce fear without knowledge: it’s the dose that makes it healing or toxic. Get all your garlic from the health food store to ensure it is organic and safe – most garlic comes from China now (not usually labeled) and their farming practices are too sordid for me to speak of in this context.
- 5% of the flea life cycle is adult fleas, 95% is in egg and larvae stages.
- Treat the home and lawn to end the life cycle.
- Fleas are becoming resistant to synthetic chemicals so pesticide manufacturers make their products increasingly stronger and more dangerous. So now, pets suffer twice – chewed on by fleas and subjected to chemical warfare of neurotoxins. If the poisons kill fleas, what is it doing to our little pets?
- Organophosphates and carbamares are two of the most common synthetic pesticides found in flea and tick killers. Both are nerve-paralyzing agents capable of causing convulsions, nausea and respiratory arrest, in both the host animal and the insects they’re intended to destroy. These chemicals are absorbed through the skin and into the blood stream. There are many cases of pesticide-related poisoning in pets, but also children and the elderly who handle pesticide-treated animals.
2. MORE SPECIFIC TO TICKS
HOME MADE FLEA AND TICK COLLAR WITH ESSENTIAL OILS (dogs only). Put these on a fabric collar for 24/7 control. Rose Geranium is known to kill ticks. I mix with aloe juice as a base and spray on. You can also add athese to repel them: rosemary, lemongrass, peppermint, eucalyptus, cinnamon, cedarwood, tea tree. Just a few drops of one or two of these please. Their noses are so sensitive.
2 COLLAR TAGS to Repel Ticks (we are testing this out now):
Shoo!TAG: Cheaper one but shorter lifespan (4 months): Amazon.com: shoo!TAG Flea and Tick Barrier Tag for Dogs, 2 Tags: Pet SuppliesEasyDefense: Nice looking one, more expensive but lasts longer (2 years)
- 3. VETS Can Be Pests too – see the vaccines and natural medicine page!
Salt and Baking Soda for Carpets: Lots of salt, not as much baking soda. Use broom to get deep into carpet fibers. Repeat for 3-4 days. Vacuum on lowest setting, daily. Change bags (empty outside) or keep in freezer. Note: Fleas often become active on application because they are trying to get away from treatment. Dehydrates them.
FOOD GRADE Diatomaceous Earth: The WHITE microscopic sharp edged chalk powder-like particles attach themselves and penetrate the waxy coating on a flea’s exoskeleton, causing them to dehydrate and die. This can also be used internally (add to food with liquid) to kill worms. More on that later.
Essential Oils, therapeutic grade: Some repel them. Some kill them. Cedar, Lemongrass, Eucalyptus, Geranium (ticks), more. DO NOT USE ESSENTIAL OILS ON CATS OR SMALL PETS LIKE RABBITS, RATS, GUINEA PIGS, HAMSTERS. Bay Leaves have been said to repel them.
ORALLY – takes about a month to build up in system: 1. Garlic (1 clove under 50#s, 2 over 50#s). Too much garlic thins the blood so don’t over do it for yourself or your pets. The right amount repels pests and works as an immune system booster. 2. Brewer’s Yeast (1 tsp small pet, 1 tbsp larger pet) or B vitamin (thiamine). Can be used as a powder on skin to repel as well. 3. Chelated Zinc (essential for skin and lacking in most diets). 10 mg, small pets, 20 mg larger pets.
YARD: Everywhere but Hawaii – beneficial nematodes. Everywhere: Diatomaceous Earth (food grade).
NATURAL COMMERCIAL SPRAYS: WONDERCIDE (cedar, lemongrass), CEDAR BUG-FREE (cedar). Usually safe to use on dogs but not recommended for cats or small animals (rabbits, gerbils, etc) due to the essential oils.
GRANDMA’S NON TOXIC HOME REMEDIES
I haven’t tried these but here’s a list of the more interesting ideas
- 4 teaspoons of dish detergent + 4 shot glass of rubbing alcohol + 1 gallon water. Spray mixture over entire floor. Be careful with wood floors and test before using on valuable flooring. Goal is to dampen all the rugs and flooring in the house. Spray before bed or when going away for a few hours to allow it to dry undisturbed. The spray drowns the fleas in about 30 seconds. Repeat for 7-10 days to kill all hatching eggs.
- Mix dawn dish detergent in a little water on a cookie sheet. Put a desk lamp about a foot above water. Fleas will be attracted to it and drown. Can use syrup but potentially messy.